That Whole Rigamarole

Sunday, February 16, 2003

Duct Tape: The Real Story


I have somewhere around here a Red Cross brochure about terrorism preparedness that includes what may be the original suggestion for duct tape. I'm pretty sure it was mentioned as part of a little routine they like to call "shelter in place." You are supposed to turn off the gas and the furnace, get in a windowless room on the first floor (not the basement), and seal up the door and any vents. That's what the duct tape is for. What I can't remember is what event would require "shelter in place." Some pretty significant chemical attack, I guess. People are making fun of the whole duct tape hysteria thing, which I understand. On the other hand, the "shelter in place" drill might be pretty handy in certain instances, and sounds just crazy enough to work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home