That Whole Rigamarole

Tuesday, May 13, 2003

Ottawa Fabulous Five?

Colby Cosh, on his NHL playoffs page, does a fine job demolishing the idea that the NHL would go to "big" ice surfaces. But there's another, easier way to open up the game: drop from six players to five. Obviously they are experimenting with this in overtime, but I'm not sure how well the fans like it. I'm sure the Players' Association will have no part of it, and I don't think I would really support it myself. I don't think the game is in need of that kind of reform. I would like to see them ditch overtime altogether (Has anybody analyzed whether it has increased or decreased regulation ties? I bet they've increased.) and get rid of the "Instigator Rule." This last one would result in a little more fighting but much less dangerous play.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home